Recently Dismissed Assistant Prosecutor Makes Case For Prosecutor Candidacy

Andrew Trzaska | May 15, 2012

“The prosecutor’s office has gotten away from the community and is disconnected from them.”

Former Assistant Senior Muskegon County Prosecutor Marc Curtis framed his candidacy for County Prosecutor in these terms at Monday’s Muskegon Heights City Council meeting.

After nine years in the prosecutor’s office, Curtis, along with entry-level prosecutor Kathryn Norton, was fired earlier this year by County Prosecutor Tony Tague, for taking a trip to Las Vegas with bail bondsman Tom DePung of Bad Boys Bail Bonds and On The Run Network TV.

Tague announced last month that he would not seek re-election after 24 years as County Prosecutor. With the field open, Curtis filed late last month and will face former colleague and current Senior Assistant Prosecutor D.J. Hilson.

Curtis laid out the three-point approach of quality, fairness and justice he says he plans to bring to the prosecutor’s office.

“It’s time for us to bring those three elements back to the prosecutor’s office and connect with the community again.”

He also railed against the current office, saying they focus too much on their conviction rate.

“We need not send people to jail or prison on the first offense if it’s not necessary,” said Curtis.

Both Curtis and Hilson will run as Democrats and will face each other in the August 7 county primary.

Andrew Trzaska

103.7 “The Beat” – local government beat reporter and political analyst