GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., April 22, 2010 — The Hispanic Center of Western Michigan has received a $150,000 grant from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation that will enable the organization to enhance and extend its services throughout West Michigan. The grant will also allow the Center to train and hire additional staff to create more community awareness of all the services it provides.
Approximately 10,000 clients are served per year by the Grand Rapids-based Hispanic Center, which operates with 15 bilingual/bicultural staff and a $1 million annual operating budget. The center serves residents throughout West Michigan, including Kent, Ottawa, Muskegon, Oceana, Grand Traverse, Allegan and Kalamazoo counties.
Current services offered include:
• Interpretation and translation services
• Adult Education classes and employment assistance
• Mental health services and outreach
• Family Violence Intervention assistance for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, and dating violence
• Youth job placement and mentoring/tutoring programs
• Gang intervention programming for at-risk youths
• Family Case Management which includes assisting clients with housing issues, labor concerns and civil rights and social justice advocacy issues
• Various cultural events
“We’re grateful for the Kellogg Foundation funding because it will help us to strengthen our staff and leadership and continue to provide the highest quality service to our clients,” said Martha Gonzalez-Cortes, the Hispanic Center’s chief executive officer.
Established in 1930, the W.K. Kellogg Foundation supports children, families and communities as they strengthen and create conditions that propel vulnerable children to achieve success as individuals and as contributors to the larger community and society. For further information, please visit the Foundation’s website at www.wkkf.org.
The Hispanic Center of Western Michigan is a 501c3 non-profit organization that has provided thousands of families who have come to West Michigan seeking better opportunities for themselves and their children with multiple services and programs. For more information about programs and services offered by the center call (616) 742-0200 or visit www.hispanic-center.org. The center is located at 1204 Grandville Ave. SW, Grand Rapids.