Andrew Trzaska | August 26, 2013
To move forward a series of capital improvements to its city hall and public works buildings, the city council of Muskegon Heights unanimously approved a new round of bids on Monday.
This follows a series of six bids accepted last month by the council, which mostly focused on exterior roofing and structural repairs to the City Hall/Public Safety complex and similar repairs to the Department of Public Works building.
The council accepted a total of nine bids on Monday, bringing the total of individual bids accepted across July and August to 15.
The city utilized Muskegon Quality Builders for construction management on the capital improvement projects, but decided to bid out the improvements by trade classification. Doing so would save the city money by reducing the amount of markup that one overall contractor may have added, according to statements made by Muskegon Heights Fire Chief Christopher Dean, who also oversees the city’s inspections department.
Bids accepted and awarded at Monday’s meeting were:
At City Hall:
- $7,500 for site work (removal, excavation, other prep work) to Wood Trucking of Muskegon.
- $18,900 for concrete work on the parking aras at City Hall to Patron Construction, of Holton.
- $26,465 for asphalt paving of parking areas at City Hall to Lite Load Services of Hamilton, Michigan.
- $18,900 for signage in the parking areas at City Hall to Lite Load Services.
At the city’s public works salt storage facility:
- $26,250 for site work to Wood Trucking.
- $94,555 for concrete work to Patron Construction.
At the Department of Public Works building:
- $28,570 for carpentry to Patron Construction.
- $8,950 for roofing work to J. Stevens Construction of Muskegon Township.
As of this round of bids, contractors based within Muskegon County won 12 of 15 of the bids. The only two bids to go outside the county went to Lite Load Services of Hamilton, Michigan.
Work tied to the bids awarded Monday will begin after finalized contracts are signed, according to city manager Natasha Henderson.